Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I Carry Your Hearts

Hello from my heart to yours....

"i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)" ee cummings

When my friend posted this the other day, I felt such a warm feeling ... a sigh of "oh, that is the ultimate statement of deep and true love.."  words so profound, you can't help but melt from the delicious thought of it... "i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)" .. seriously, don't you just want to cry? the emotion that comes with those words is enough to make anyone want to I think...

and it's no wonder that it's always been one of my favorite poems.. after all, I am hopelessly in love with people... my family, my friends, and my co-workers ... only my mother would say that I treat her badly .. and maybe I do... but with love none-the-less ... lol

When I read the poem, my first thought is of God... I can totally imagine God speaking those words to me... and I feel the comfort in it... there is nothing for me to ever fear if He is carrying my heart in His... and therefore, I can then go forth and spread that love... the peace that it gives me allows me to carry the heart of others in mine... I think of my teenagers living away and how peaceful I am about it really.. it's because they left their hearts with me... and I look at my crazy 8 year old, who lives in his own little spectrum, and I am overjoyed to carry his heart... I see my 84 year old Daddy and I feel his heart in mine... I think of my brothers and sisters and the inexplicable "bond-beyond-bond" we have, and I know our hearts are carried within each other's... and my misunderstood mother? of course, I carry hers as well... she is the one who taught us to love God, ourselves and one another... she's just forgotten that she did... 

The poem is so often used in a "romantic love" context... however, I can think of so many friends whom I love.. and in an instant they flash before me.. their names, their faces, their memories... all of those whose hearts I am carrying, and who I know are carrying mine, sustain me... 

I am single ... I was married and, of course, I have dated in the last 11 years since my divorce, but I haven't met the one who is written into my life yet.. or maybe I have, but my soul hasn't recognized his.. or the meeting was at the wrong time... only God knows... anyway... I have a friend who cracks up at me every time I go on a date and come back to tell her, "He loves me." ... she says, "Yes, THEY all love you.. it's you who doesn't love them back."  well, okay.. I accept that, but it isn't that I don't love them back, I guess I just don't love them that way... and I have been accused of that actually.. accused of loving everyone instead of just them...  what's the problem in that? ... oh, I don't know... tangent writing again... (maybe I should proof-read and edit more)... lol

So, let me close with this proposal of sorts... a little task for you all... look around you.. maybe start with your spouse or your significant other... and then, continue with your children, your family, your friends and even your co-workers (as many are our friends) and say to yourself or out loud, "i carry your heart, (i carry it in my heart)" ... let yourself feel the emotion of the words fill you... watch as the one you are saying it to is filled with the emotion you are giving them ... don't be afraid to cry because I think you will want to, too... truly feel the love that is within you ... you are all loved beyond measure and cherished blessings to the world.. we should all carry one another's hearts in our hearts just as God so graciously does for us.. it really isn't that difficult for us to give something that we have an abundance of.. 

May your evening be blessed with all things good,
I love you,
Elena 

No comments:

Post a Comment