Friday, March 30, 2012

Two Wolves

Hello from my heart to yours....

A Cherokee Legend

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.
"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"
The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

I have always loved that story... my sweet friend posted it on my wall on the eve of my boys' departure without realizing what a perfect story it is to share with them... they are gone once again to continue their life adventure... their "summer" visit was like a tornado and Giorgio and I are still recovering from the turmoil.. the rooms are upside down and we don't even know where to begin, but we'll get it done, I guess.. 

Their visit was "interesting" ... they truly are hilarious teenage boys.. the way they interact with one another is worthy of video-taping for a reality show.. their views and opinions are very different, and as I watched them fight and run after each other and lock each other out of the house and throw spears and shoot airsoft bb's at each other, I thought "OMG.. they are evil wolves" ... lol... but they aren't really, because 5 minutes after all the chaos, I would go to the room to check on the silence and they would be playing the PS3 and look at me like I was the crazy one... 

Anyway, I wanted to give them the Cherokee story as something to think about for their journey abroad, but in the last minute chaos, it didn't happen... so I'm writing it here because even though they don't always read my blessings (they say I'm the "hippiest" mother they know), they have confessed that when they miss me, they do go through their emails and read them randomly... and so I believe that they'll read it when they need it.. and that makes my heart smile...

We all have these two wolves inside of us... yes.. we DO .. and it's hard enough as adults to have control over which wolf we are going to feed.. imagine how much harder it is for a child or a teenager.. there are so many outside influences that can sway their ways.. so many things they don't understand or know how to react to and deal with yet.. and most of the time, young people just want to satisfy their hunger instantly and do not stop to think of the repercussions of "instant gratification" especially if the "bad" wolf is being fed... certainly we don't want to think that they are intentionally feeding that wolf, which is why, even though I believe Gibran when he wrote, "Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself."  .. I, also, believe that as parents, it is our responsibility to guide them and help them understand which wolf to feed... of course, this is best done by example... so if we live our lives as the blessed people God intends us to be.. then, the lesson shouldn't be so difficult...

I could go on and on here... after all, we all know both types of wolves... and maybe, we have even been both types of wolves at some point in our lives.. but as long as we have faith, hope and love in our hearts, and we remember that we are loved beyond measure always, I believe that, by default, only the good wolf will be fed... 

May you never have to really "fight" to feed the good wolf.. may the love and light in your heart keep the good wolf fed and satisfied always... you are a cherished blessing to the world...

May your weekend be blessed with all things good.... Namaste... 

Elena
p.s. I love you both my adventurous "good" wolves... Asalaam Alaikum.. I carry your hearts... Arrivederci ... xo

No comments:

Post a Comment