Friday, March 23, 2012

STAND UP

Hello from my heart to yours...

“Unless you call attention to your presence who will know you're there? Even a country has to weave and wave a flag as proof of its existence...It is a wondrous thing to have a country you can love..."
                                 ― Rod McKuen 

I used to be more of an activist... rallied and demonstrated any opportunity I got.. in my younger days, I have been known to hand-cuff myself to the fences of foreign embassies in the name of "Human Rights"... I have traveled by bus to Washington.. stood on over-turned garbage cans in the streets of NYC with signs larger than myself... stood on the steps of countless courthouses and the busy streets of Miami... after all, it is my Constitutional Right as written in the very First Amendment which reads : 

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances... 

and Amen to that... of course, I am all over the place in my beliefs ... because the strongest belief I have is LOVE... love for all of my brothers and sisters ... every thing and anything that oppresses LOVE and the expression of LOVE and the freedom to LOVE one another as God wants us to, becomes a cause worthy of my presence as an advocate of LOVE... I can proudly say I have demonstrated for people of many countries and for many causes that have touched my heart ....

Anyway, I have been semi-retired... but today, I will be on the steps of the courthouse in downtown Miami for the "Stand up for Religious Freedom" rally ... While the driving force behind it are the Christians and Catholics of this community, I will STAND UP there because America's founders believed religious freedom to be the "first liberty" ... this goes for the entire world.. The United States even has "The Office of International Religious Freedom" .. its mission is to promote religious freedom as a core objective of U.S. foreign policy.. it monitors religious persecution and discrimination worldwide, recommends and implements policies in respective regions or countries, and develops programs to promote religious freedom... the U.S. is committed to the international covenants that guarantee "religious freedom" as the inalienable right of EVERY human being... this is the mission of the office:

1. Promote freedom of religion and conscience throughout the world as a fundamental human right and as a   source of stability for all countries;
2. Assist emerging democracies in implementing freedom of religion and conscience;
3. Assist religious and human rights NGOs in promoting religious freedom;
4. Identify and denounce regimes that are severe persecutors on the basis of religious belief.

hmmmm? okay then... sounds fantastic.. then why is there a nationwide rally today in 113 cities to "Stand Up for Religious Freedom" right here in our country when we are the ones who are supposed to be defending the freedom of religion for the world?" ... it reminds me of that song.. "Things that make you go.. hmmmm" 

Well... I don't know... and I honestly have to admit I do not follow any kind of political agenda's really... haven't even read the HHS Mandate completely... I learned so much when I worked in politics (that I won't go into here ever), and I have adopted the belief that I am here to love my country no matter what and to try to govern myself as a good citizen in society.. I choose to believe and stand up for that which makes my heart hurt... I am passionate about so much and yet so little... but this is my truth... I love God.. I love Jesus Christ and accept Him as my Savior.. I love my country.. I love my family.. I love my friends.. I love the beautiful strangers I encounter daily... I look for God in everyone that passes me by.. therefore, I will STAND UP today in the name of LOVE...because I believe God is LOVE... and ALL the people in this world of ours should have the right to religious freedom... faith, hope and LOVE is what unites us all ...because we are all loved beyond measure and are cherished blessings to the world... and today as I STAND UP, I adopt John Keats' philosophy, "Love is my religion - I could die for it." ...  

May your weekend be blessed with an abundance of LOVE,
with much love,
Elena

1 comment:

  1. One man's religious freedom can be the freedom to condemn another man or woman's right to choose another religion. My religion is also love, acceptance and the ability to allow others to choose the way they wish to serve God. I love you my sister!

    ReplyDelete