Thursday, March 1, 2012

Keepers

Hello from my heart to yours...
 
"Can I keep you?"  from Casper the friendly ghost......

This is a blessing that I have sent in the past on the first day of Spring... I like it because, every year, my "keepers" list seems to change... and I suppose it's because I am ever-changing... but regardless, I "recycle, reduce and reuse" it today on the birthday of one of my favorite "kept" friends... the thought of her in my life makes every day "the best day ever" .... 

Every so often, we meet people we want to "keep" ... we just know it right away.... could be their smile, or their eyes, or the way they speak... or they way they make us feel.... we can't always pinpoint what it is, but we know that we want them in our lives.... These kinds of people can add light to our lives.. they bring a feeling of goodness, hope, peace and love.... and they lift our energy level and make us feel so blessed...... we just want to spend hours on end with these people and we usually don't let life get in the way of it....

Of course, sometimes it does... and then we forget about those people that we met once and wanted to "keep" ... relationships are hard to maintain... we may have "kept" that person by marrying them, but now ..let's say... 20 years later, we look at that person and don't recognize them really... or we may have a childhood friend we've "kept" for 35 years and now as adults wonder why we did.... life experiences change us for sure.. when couples have children, energies shift ... as we grow up, we make new adult friends that have things in common with us as adults.... which is kind of what happened with me and Jules... our boys started middle school together (at a new school) and we were the "outsiders" .. we were too hippie.. too progressive.. too free.. for all the other mothers who had been together for 5 or 6 years... and so our boys "kept" one another and then, so did we... making new friends is hard because many of us conform ourselves and are content to live our lives with "psuedo" friends.... whatever it is, for me it always goes back to one of my favorite quotes...

"When spring came, even the false spring, there were no problems except where to be happiest. The only thing that could spoil a day was people and if you could keep from making engagements, each day had no limits. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself."  — Ernest Hemingway (A Moveable Feast)

We still have 3 weeks before it is officially Spring, but in South Florida, the "false Spring" is in the air... the weather is beautiful.. the blue jays and cardinals are already in my garden bathing in the birdbath and eating from the feeders.. they fill my soul with love... and so in keeping with the idea of the Lenten season... this time of "reflection, reconciliation and reformation", let us look at our loved ones.. spouses, significant others, parents, children, co-workers and friends ... Think of the reason you wanted to keep them in your life in the first place and be happy.... and tell them why they are "keepers" .. express your love to them... we all need to be reminded sometimes... .. make loving people your way of life...
 
Today I celebrate my friend... today I celebrate all the people whom I have "kept" and have "kept" me back... and my heartfelt wish to all of you is that you are able to see the "Spring" in everyone you encounter so that you are always asking "Can I keep you?" because YOU are loved beyond measure and are as good as Spring to me...   

May your day be blessed with all things good... Namaste....
I love you,
Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment