Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9-11


Hello from my heart to yours....

"Where were you when the world stopped turning that September day?" 
 
Alan Jackson, one of my favorite country singers

I was searching for last year's blessing for this day to get some kind of inspiration on what to write....... and well, I didn't send one... I did find ones from years prior... but they didn't inspire me much... the message still remains the same... it was one of the saddest days in history... and always will be... 

It is hard to write something meaningful regarding the events of 9/11... I searched the internet to find something, but there didn't seem to be much in the way of thoughtful poetry or prose by anyone that moved me in a wow way... maybe because writers aren't much different than anyone else; all of us suffered the same raw feelings regarding the event... and who really wants to write about it? ... worse, that the devastation was brought to us live on television.. in real time... not to mention the endless replays of the tragedy... how can words be as vivid as the visuals we all experienced?  Everyone remembers where they were when the world stopped turning that September day...   and 11 years later... the memory seems as vivid as if it happened yesterday....

Of course, I did find a poem by my good and faithful friend, Rod McKuen, that I'd like to share with you today...

SOME HEROES / 
9-11 SOME YEARS ON
Some Heroes do not engage, are
passive in the fight. Dying unaware
that any battlefield grew up around them.

Some heroes are just passing through
on their way to work or home, making
love and lunch appointments on cell 
phones, in cellblock cubicles.

Some heroes whistle on their way to death
caught unawares while polishing politeness
eating or deleting Spam, expiring in delirium,
not unwilling but not knowing, with no final will 
tucked into top left-hand drawer.

Some heroes learn to fly without a practice 
run, a test on some low country hill. And more 
than one young hero never reached a poppy 
field because they turned to dust or powder
while God was taking his usual time returning
earth to earth, dust to natural dust. 

If the battle comes to them then I insist
heroes are heroes and they need not enlist.
To die without a chance to choose, choice 
left to chance makes heroes sure as targets
practiced and then hit by marksman or
marked man in battle gear. Some heroes 
good & true become so just by being there.
First published in Flight Plan 9/11/2006

I, also, give you a youtube link of the song.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW8puRqE4Sc

As I remember that day, I reflect on the following quote..... it reminds me to continue to have faith, hope and love in my heart... it reminds me to pray and live my life in grace and as the blessed person God intends me to be....

"....Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee..." 

Remember that you are loved beyond measure and a cherished blessing to me and the world...
May your day be filled with remembrance and prayer... for those heroes who became so by just being there... for the families they left behind ... and for the people of this wondrous country that will never forget where they were when the earth stopped turning.... 
GOD BLESS THE USA!
Elena

No comments:

Post a Comment